Man who played ‘Goldilocks’ gets four years’ probation

WAILUKU — A man who “decided to play Goldilocks” and was found in a multimillion-dollar Lahaina home and a Kahului business has been placed on four years’ probation.

Stanley Sudol, 23, was given credit for more than seven months he had spent in jail.

“Somewhere along the line you decided to play Goldilocks,” 2nd Circuit Judge Rhonda Loo said in sentencing Sudol Aug. 31.

She said Sudol reportedly had helped himself to food including Spam, turned on the air conditioning and made a mess in the kitchen of a home in the 900 block of Front Street before he was found in a bed or chair June 27, 2017.

“He was staying at a million-dollar-plus home, except he didn’t have permission,” said Deputy Prosecutor Jeffery Temas.

He said Sudol had “totally trashed” the kitchen, consuming food, burning food on the stove and “leaving food everywhere.”

A representative of the trust that owns the property reported $1,000 in damages, but he didn’t make a claim because he didn’t think the defendant would be able to pay, Temas said.

He said a couple of months later, on Aug. 14, 2017, Sudol was arrested when he was found sleeping in Wesco Distribution on Lehuakona Street in Kahului.

“This is Goldilocks the sequel,” Loo said. “This one took a little bit of energy.”

She said Sudol cut through a fence to enter the parking lot of the business and took off a screen window to enter. Inside, he helped himself to root beer and chips.

He also tried to use a computer, causing a problem that affected the business for a couple of weeks, Loo said. “You did a lot of damage to the system,” she told Sudol. “Apparently, they lost quite a bit of business in two weeks.”

She said Sudol could have sought help if he wanted food or shelter.

Deputy Public Defender Ben Lowenthal said the facts of the cases “show a person who has clear and obvious mental health issues.”

Sudol does well when he takes his medication, he said.

In three cases, he had pleaded no contest to second-degree burglary, fourth-degree criminal property damage, two counts of fourth-degree theft, second-degree bail jumping and first-degree criminal trespassing.

Sudol had been released from jail when he changed his pleas but didn’t show up for his original sentencing date, the judge said.

As part of his probation, Sudol was ordered to obtain a mental health evaluation and maintain treatment and perform 200 hours of community service.

He was ordered to stay away from Wesco and the Front Street house.

Sudol was ordered to write letters apologizing to the business and the resident to be submitted to his probation officer.