Woodson, McKelvey garner House chairmanships
The Maui News
The six-member Maui County state House delegation has garnered two committee chairmanships and three members on the House money committee, according to a news release from House Speaker Scott Saiki on Tuesday.
Rep. Justin Woodson, who represents Kahului, will chair the Lower and Higher Education Committee. The state House chose to consolidate those two committees, both of which Woodson has chaired previously.
Rep. Angus McKelvey, who represents West Maui-north Kihei, will once again chair the Economic Development and Business Committee.
On the powerful House Finance Committee, chaired by Rep. Sylvia Luke, are freshmen Reps. Troy Hashimoto (Wailuku-Waihee-Waikapu) and Tina Wildberger (South Maui) and veteran Rep. Kyle Yamashita (Upcountry).
Woodson is part of Saiki’s leadership team, serving as one of nine majority whips.
The Maui County members and their committee assignments follow:
• Rep. Lynn DeCoite (East Maui-Molokai-Lanai). Agriculture (vice chair); Lower and Higher Education; Tourism and International Affairs.
• Hashimoto. Finance; Housing; Transportation (vice chair).
• McKelvey. Economic Development and Business (chair); Judiciary; Labor and Public Employment.
• Wildberger. Energy and Environmental Protection (vice chair); Finance; Water, Land and Hawaiian Affairs.
• Woodson. Housing; Lower and Higher Education (chair); Transportation.
• Yamashita. Economic Development and Business; Finance; Labor and Public Employment.
The state Legislature opens Jan. 16.