Shopper robbed of purse at gunpoint

Police search for man, who brandished gun, and woman

A police officer sends vehicles away from the parking lot behind Macy’s at the Queen Ka‘ahumanu Center on Wednesday afternoon. Police were looking for a suspect in a gunpoint robbery of a shopper. The Maui News / COLLEEN UECHI photos

KAHULUI — Police are searching for two suspects in a gunpoint robbery of a 55-year-old shopper at the Queen Ka’ahumanu Center on Wednesday afternoon.

Police spokesman Lt. Gregg Okamoto said that at about 12:50 p.m. Wednesday, an unidentified male and a female accomplice approached a 55-year-old female shopper on the third floor of the parking structure next to Macy’s at the mall. The man allegedly brandished a handgun and demanded the shopper’s purse, which she handed over to the man. The man and woman then fled down the parking structure staircase near the Macy’s men’s department in an unknown direction.

The shopper did not report any injuries.

The male offender is described as 30 to 40 years old and about 5 feet 10 inches to 6 feet tall, with a thin to medium build. He has short black hair, brown eyes and a light brown complexion. He was last seen wearing a light blue T-shirt, brown surf shorts with a yellow logo on the left front leg and slippers.

The female accomplice was described as 30 to 40 years old and about 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall, with a thin to medium build. She has brown eyes, a light brown complexion and black hair that was tied in a ponytail that reached to the middle of her back. She was last seen wearing a light blue shirt, light blue jeans and slippers.

Police officers monitor the third floor of the parking garage on the Macy’s side of the Queen Ka‘ahumanu Center

Anyone with information regarding the two suspects or regarding the incident should contact the Maui Police Department at 244-6400 or Crime Stoppers at 242-6966. Police are advising people not to approach the suspects or attempt to detain them.

Even with the police presence on Wednesday afternoon, business continued as usual at the mall. No areas of the mall were cordoned off, and most stores appeared to be up and running.

A bus dispatcher who declined to give her name said that police arrived at around 1 p.m., and that an officer came to check some of the buses. However, she said that the mall had been mostly quiet and that she hadn’t seen police pursue anyone.

A pair of workers at Champs Sports said they’d gotten a call from management that there was an active shooter situation at around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. The employee who got the call said she was “scared because it’s a pretty public place, pretty open.” However, her coworker said that barely 30 seconds later, they were notified that police had handled the situation.

Several mall employees at stores near the parking structure said that they didn’t see or hear anything unusual. A Vitamin World employee said he didn’t know anything was happening until the store got the notifications from mall management. A Payless shoe store employee added that stores were given the option to close but that Payless did not.

* Staff Writer Lila Fujimoto contributed to this report. Colleen Uechi can be reached at