Water conservation advisory posted for Waikapu, Wailuku Heights
The Department of Water Supply asked customers Friday afternoon in Waikapu, Kehalani Mauka (mauka of Honoapiilani Highway) and Wailuku Heights to conserve water and to avoid unnecessary water use until further notice.
An unidentified increase in consumption in the Waikapu/Wailuku area is triggering the notice. The conservation will help the department maintain adequate water tank levels to minimize service interruptions.
The department is working to identify the source of the problem, the news release said.
The county asks customers to:
• Water lawns only when needed and after sundown and to reduce automatic irrigation time.
• Turn off the water faucet when washing dishes, brushing teeth or shaving.
• Shorten shower time and only partially fill tubs for baths.
• Wash clothes using full loads and proper settings.
• Wash cars using a bucket or by going to a car wash. Most of the car washes on Maui are fitted with recirculating water.
• Check in and around homes for leaks.
For questions or to report a water-related problem, call the department’s 24-hour hotline at 270-7633.