Ohana Tacos closed by DOH
Ohana Tacos received a “closed” red placard from the state Department of Health Sanitation Branch due to an extensive pest infestation, the department said.
The establishment is located at 3600 Lower Honoapiilani Road, Suite A, in Lahaina.
A routine inspection of the restaurant Thursday revealed food safety violations, the Health Department news release Friday said.
The violations included:
• Extensive roach infestation with live roaches around the hot-holding unit, in packages of food skewers, on food service plates, around the handwashing sink, on and in the meat slicer and around the dish storage area.
• A buildup of black mold on the chute of the ice machine.
• Unsafe food cooling practices, cold-holding temperatures, and employee hygiene violations.
The closure of Ohana Tacos and the suspension of its food service permit will remain in effect until the establishment completes required actions, passes a follow-up health inspection and receives DOH approval to reopen.
Required actions include cleaning and sanitizing all food and nonfood surfaces; ensuring all entry points are closed to prevent the entry of pests; eradication of cockroach infestation; and disposing of paper goods, single-use items, and any food items that have been contaminated.
A follow-up inspection is scheduled for Monday.