×

Haleakala National Park entrance fees to increase Jan. 1

The Maui News

Entrance fees to Haleakala National Park will be increasing by $5 for vehicles, motorcycles and annual park specific passes and $3 per person for bicycles and pedestrians on Jan. 1.

The park hosts more than a million visitors a year and will be raising fees along with other national parks across the nation for maintenance and to improve infrastructure, the park service said Tuesday.

The fees will be $30 per vehicle, $25 per motorcycle and $15 per pedestrian or bicyclist. The receipt allows unlimited re-entry into either the Summit or Kipahulu districts for three days.

The cost of a Tri-Park Pass, the annual pass that allows visitors unlimited entry to the three fee-collecting national parks in Hawaii (Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park, Haleakala National Park and Pu’uhonua o Hanaunau National Historical Park on Hawaii island) also will increase from $50 to $55.

Revenues from entrance fees remain in the National Park Service. At Haleakala National Park, about 80 percent of entrance fees stay in the park. The remaining 20 percent of entrance fee income is shared with other non-fee-collecting national parks throughout the U.S.

The current entrance fees of $25 per vehicle or $20 per motorcycle have been in effect since June 1, 2017. Haleakala National Park is one of 117 National Park Service sites that charge an entrance fee; entry into at least 300 other national parks remains free.

The price of the annual America the Beautiful National Parks & Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass and the Lifetime Senior Pass for those 62 years old and older will remain $80.

Visitors can enjoy five free days in 2020: Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Jan. 20; first day of National Park Week and Junior Ranger Day, April 20; National Park Service birthday, Aug. 25; National Public Lands Day, Sept. 28; and Veterans Day, Nov. 11.

Haleakala National Park welcomed 1,044,084 visitors in 2018. The combination of aging infrastructure and increased visitation has put a strain on national park roads, bridges, campgrounds, waterlines, bathrooms and other visitor services and has led to an $11.9 billion deferred maintenance backlog nationwide. The additional revenue from entrance fees at Haleakala National Park will provide additional funding to improve infrastructure and maintenance needs and will enhance the visitor experience, the park service said.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)