Covid-19 Maui County Schedule Changes
The Maui News has compiled a list of countywide cancellations, closures and postponements due to coronavirus. This story is updated daily as information is released. Last updated at 3 p.m. Wednesday.
• County fields, pools, gyms, parks and public restrooms, closed March 13 to April 13. Beach parks and restrooms closed.
• Community centers, closed March 16 to April 16.
• County offices closed until further notice.
• Hana Highway to Hana and Piilani Highway around the backside of Haleakala through Kaupo open to local traffic only.
• Kahikili Highway from Waihee to Kahakuloa open to local traffic only.
• Kepaniwai Park closed until further notice.
• Maui County Immigrant Services Division offices on Maui, Molokai and Lanai suspending walk-in services and inquries. All services provided by appointment only. In-person contact replaced by telephone appointments and emails for general information, questions or status requests. Do not arrive more than five minutes before a scheduled in-person appointment and do not bring more than two people. To schedule an appointment, call 270-7791, Wailuku; (808) 553-5072, Molokai; (808) 565-6679.
• All state parks.
• State Department of Land and Natural Resources division office closures to in person visits. The offices include division of Boating and Recreation, Conservation and Resources Enforcement, Forestry and Wildlife, Land, Parks.
• State harbors public restroom facilities within harbors are closed.
• State public libraries. All programs and events, external meetings scheduled in library meeting rooms and Bookmobile services canceled.
• UH-Maui College going to online classes, beginning March 23. Campus is closed.
• Haleakala National Park, both Summit and Kipahulu Districts, closed.
• Sacred Hearts School back in session March 25 through interactive instruction via the web. Students log on from their homes and the teacher conducts the class and delivers instruction, provides illustrations, videos, and facilitates discussions.
• Public school facilities closed until April 30.
Nonprofits & Organizations
• Maui Arts & Cultural Center closed until further notice. Diana Ross concert canceled; Henry Kapono and Paula Fuga, Kapono and Keola Beamer, Jake Shimabukuro, and Daryl Hall and John Oates concerts rescheduled.
• The Nisei Veterans Memorial Center’s Education Center closed.
• Lahaina Restoration Foundation Baldwin Home Museum, Wo Hing Museum and Cookhouse, Hale Pa’i Printing Museum closed. Activities and classes also canceled.
• Maui Nui Botanical Garden in Wailuku closed until March 30, except to staff and contractors.
• Youth programs, including Boys & Girls Clubs of Maui, Kihei Youth Center, Paia Youth and Cultural Center, Hana Youth Center, Molokai Youth Center, Lanai Youth Center, closed for 30 days.
• Hawaiian Electric office payment centers to temporarily close, noon March 18 to March 30. Customers are encouraged to mail payment; use or sign up for online bill payment; use Speedpay, an authorized payment service provider that allows customers to pay by phone or online (convenience fee applies); use Western Union payment locations if payment must be made in person.
• Kaho’olawe Island Reserve Commission Wailuku offices closed. Trolling permits only accepted by mail, 811 Kolu St., Suite 201, Wailuku 96793. Boat stickers and permits will be mailed to applicants.
• Maui Humane Society closed until further notice. Spaying and neutering services temporarily suspended, with scheduled appointments between March 23 and mid-April getting waitlisted for a future appointment. Animal surrenders, adoptions and lost-and-found services, will be available by appointment only. For more information or to make an appointment, call 877-3680, ext. 3, between 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., or visit mauihumanesociety.org. Enforcement officers will still provide 24-hour service to high priority and emergency calls.
• Maui Historical Society/ Hale Ho’ike’ike closed until further notice.
• Maui Ocean Center closed until the end of May.
• Maui Family YMCA closing effective 8 p.m. March 20 until further notice. The Y will be providing limited child care for health care workers, first responders and “essential” employees protecting the community.
• Habitat for Humanity Maui administrative offices and ReStore closing until further notice. Limited services will be offered by appointment only. This includes service to Habitat’s partner families and home builds. E-mail email@example.com or visit www.habitat-maui.org. ReStore donations have been postponed during the closure.
• Akaku Maui Community Media offices and production facilities closed to public, with staff available by appointment only. This includes Akaku’s administrative offices, production studio, KAKU radio facility, and upstairs media lab. Appointment requests can be made by calling 871-5554, or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Maui Mediation Services mediations rescheduled for after April 15; court mediations are postponed at least until April 30. Domestic mediation participants asked to email bbowers @mauimediation.org or fax 244-5744 their proposed parenting plans to the office, a container has been created where plans can be dropped off.
• Maui Episcopal churches, Good Shepherd, Holy Innocents, St. John’s, Trinity by the Sea, suspend public worship and gatherings.
• Kaiser Permanente Kihei clinc closed. The Maui Lani, Lahaina and Wailuku offices open; Maui Lani clinic open for after-hours care.
• Maui Economic Opportunity operating on three-day staggered work week with offices open normal business hours. Kahi Kamali’i open during regular hours Monday to Thursday and closed noon Fridays to allow for deep cleaning. All Head Start remains closed in conjunction with the DOE. Email email@example.com to discuss your individual needs; the administration office number is 249-2990.
• Binhi at Ani Filipino Community Center in Kahului closed until further notice.
• Heritage Hall meeting facilities (hall and conference rooms) closed until further notice. The certified kitchen will remain available for vendors who produce “grab and go” items.
• Makawao Hongwanji Mission closed until further notice. Columbarium access by appointment.
• Hawaii High School Athletic Association suspended Maui Interscholastic League competition until further notice.
• High school athletics practices have been called off.
• Friday town parties. All county-sponsored Friday town parties, including including Wailuku First Fridays, Lahaina Second Fridays, Makawao Third Fridays, Kihei Fourth Fridays and Lanai Fifth Fridays, have been canceled.
• Maui Swap Meet, Saturdays at UH-Maui College, closed.
• Molokai Planning Commission, March 25, canceled.
• AARP Foundation TaxAide Sites — Kaunoa Senior Center, West Maui Senior Center, Kahului Union Church and Kihei Community Center — closed.
• Maui Academy of Performing Arts suspends educational programming. Dance and drama classes paused until further notice.
• St. Joseph Mission Church at Kaupo Mass March 29 canceled.
• Kaunoa Senior Center programs, classes and activities — including nutrition and leisure-wellness programs — suspended until March 31.
• The Slack Key Show at the Napili Kai Resort by George and Nancy Kahumoku is postponed until April 1. Ticket-holders may call 669-3858 to reschedule.
• Deer hunting in the Lanai Game Management Area, a 30-day pause. Permits and reservations for deer hunts for March 21, 22, 28 and 29 and April 4, 5, 11 and 12th have been canceled.
• State hunter education classes are suspended.
• Liquor Control certification exam and education sessions canceled through March 31. For more information, call the Department of Liquor Control at 243-7753.
• Liquor Control Adjudication Board, April 2, canceled.
• Maui County Resources Committee meeting April 2 canceled.
• County Urban Design Review Board meeting April 7 canceled.
• Liquor Control Commission meeting April 8 canceled.
• Pacific Cancer Foundation is moving wellness programs and workshops online. For questions and links, call 242-7661.
• Maui County Business Resource Center classes canceled.
• Molokai Planning Commission meeting April 30 canceled.
• Lanai Planning Commission meeting April 30 canceled.
• Art Maui showing at Schaefer Gallery closed.
• Aipono Winemaker’s Dinner, March 27, Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, postponed.
• Maui Preparatory Academy Bozich Center for Athletics and Performing Arts grand opening, March 28, rescheduled for Sept. 12.
• Ho’omau 2020, March 28, tentatively rescheduled for June 27 at Maui Nui Botanical Gardens. Participants should hold on to tickets as they will be honored for the rescheduled date.
• Maui Filipino Chamber of Commerce Foundation annual Scholarship Golf Tournament, March 28, rescheduled for July 11.
• Kihei Charter School Hawaiian Luau March 28 rescheduled for May 2.
• Maui Federal Credit Union’s annual membership luncheon March 29 at the Maui Beach Hotel canceled (no food, refreshments, door prizes and gift distribution), but the business meeting portion will still take place at 11:30 a.m. Members who have purchased tickets may request a refund at the main office, 107 East Wakea Ave., Kahului, and will receive a free gift.
• Maui Nui Marine Resource Council rescheduling of “Know Your Ocean” speaker series event at The Sphere at Maui Ocean Center on April 1 with Daniel Amato on the topic “Sewage Impacts on Hawaii’s Coastlines: Past, Present and Future.” Talk is tentatively rescheduled for June 3.
• Maui Business Brainstomers Masters of Retail Success in Maui, April 1, rescheduled to 5:15 p.m. Aug. 19, Kahili Golf Course. For refunds or to join the rescheduled class, email firstname.lastname@example.org.”
• County Fair Housing Training, April 3 at UH-Maui College, postponed.
• Malama Maui Nui’s Art of Trash exhibition, April 4 to May 2 at Maui Mall, postponed.
• Kula Shofukuji Shingon Mission rummage sale, April 4, postponed.
• Imua Family Services annual gala fundraiser, The Chinese Lantern Festival – The Red Ball, April 4, has been moved to Aug. 29 at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa.
• Valley Isle Community Federal Credit Union 80th annual luncheon, April 5, canceled.
• West Maui Taxpayers Association meeting on emergency prepandemic planning and preparations April 6 has been moved to 5 p.m. May 14, West Maui Kaunoa Senior Center.
• Celebration of the Arts, weekend of April 10 at The Ritz Carlton, Kapalua, postponed.
• 2020 Valley Isle Keiki Fest, April 11 at UH-Maui College, canceled. Vendors and sponsors who have already sent in their participation commitments will be contacted.
• Maui Native Hawaiian Chamber of Commerce “Talk Story” networker, April 14, postponed.
• Maui County Farm Bureau annual “Agriculture in the Classroom” field trip for 2nd graders April 16 and 17 at Haleakala Ranch canceled.
• The 50th annual Maui Intermediate Music Festival, April 16 to 18, War Memorial Gym, canceled.
• East Maui Taro Festival, April 25, postponed.
• Maui Police Department 2020 Dare Rally, April 30, suspended.
• Maui Matsuri 20th annual event in May canceled.
• St. Joseph Feast, May 1-3 at the Makawao church, postponed. Event officials said they plan to honor all presale scrip and hamburger tickets on the rescheduled dates.
• 51st Annual Barrio Fiesta May 22-23 rescheduled to Sept. 4-5.
Due to COVID-19 Pandemic, Datebook listings are suspended until further notice.