Chamber puts out its ‘business friendly’ slate
The Maui News
The Maui Chamber of Commerce’s Maui Political Action Committee, which handles Chamber candidate endorsements, announced its slate of “business friendly” Maui County candidates for the state Legislature and County Council.
Due to COVID-19, the process was handled differently than in the past. Candidates were asked to submit their biographies and priorities/positions and answer a 15-item questionnaire from the committee.
Candidates were scored on their materials and answers in the questionnaire based on Chamber positions, priorities, values and current issues.
Candidates had to earn a minimum score to gain an endorsement, even if it meant no endorsement in a given race. The committee was looking for the most “business-friendly” candidates based on their priorities, understanding of business issues, plans and solutions, willingness to work with the Chamber and past performance (if an incumbent).
The endorsements follow:
• State House District 8. Troy Hashimoto.
• State House District 9. Justin Woodson.
• State House District 11. Don Couch.
• State House District 12. Kyle Yamashita.
• State House District 13. Lynn DeCoite.
• Council West Maui. Rick Nava.
• Council Kahului. Tasha Kama.
• Council South Maui. Tom Cook.
• Council Makawao-Haiku-Paia. Mike Molina.
• Council Upcountry. Yuki Lei Sugimura.
• Council Lanai. Alberta de Jetley.
• Council Molokai. Stacy Helm Crivello.