Traffic signals to be upgraded
Five traffic signals in Wailuku and Kahului will be upgraded starting at 9 p.m. Wednesday, the county Department of Public Works Highways Division announced.
The following intersections will be affected:
• Waiale Road and Kuikahi Drive.
• Lower Main Street and Mill Street.
• Kamehameha Avenue and Alamaha Street.
• Wakea Avenue and Alamaha Street.
• Papa Avenue and Kamehameha Avenue.
Drivers should expect delays, the county said. Traffic signals at the intersections will not operate for about 30 minutes while a new battery backup system is installed. The new system will allow traffic signals to operate safely during power outages.
Drivers should proceed cautiously through the intersection, heed all warning signs, slow down in work zones and remain aware of workers and construction equipment, the county said.