Man on probation for assault, will return to Marshall Islands
WAILUKU — A man was expected to be returned to the Marshall Islands after he was placed on probation for assaulting his wife last year.
Kejet Jibon, 57, was arrested the afternoon of May 27, 2020, at a residence on Nahale Place in Lahaina after a bystander heard a woman’s cries and kicked open a bedroom door to find Jibon standing over his wife with a steak knife.
She suffered injuries including a half-inch laceration on her thigh.
Jibon had pleaded no contest to second-degree assault. Other charges, including second-degree attempted murder, were dismissed in exchange for his plea.
A plea agreement between the defense and prosecution recommended four years’ probation and a one-year jail term, which Jibon had already served when he was sentenced July 15.
A Marshallese interpreter assisted Jibon, who was being held at the Oahu Community Correctional Center.
“I want to apologize for what I did,” Jibon said.
He said he wanted to return to the Marshall Islands.
Deputy Public Defender Zach Raidmae said a federal immigration detainer had been placed on Jibon.
“His journey through this jail process has been horrifying and awful,” Raidmae said.
Second Circuit Judge Peter Cahill followed the plea agreement in sentencing Jibon.
“Although the incident definitely would warrant a prison sentence, the multiple medical issues that Mr. Jibon has suffered while in custody are a significant factor, as is the immigration hold and his likely removal from the United States,” Cahill said. “He currently has significant health problems, and those are continuing, based on what we were told.”