Molokai man sentenced to 10 years in prison
Charges include firearm, threatening and drug offenses
The Maui News
WAILUKU — A Molokai man was sentenced Friday to 10 years in prison for illegally possessing firearms, including one that was used in the shooting of two men.
Chad Naehu, 38, of Kaunakakai was also sentenced to five-year prison terms for assaulting a man, threatening another man with a rifle and possessing methamphetamine.
He will serve all prison terms at the same time.
Second Circuit Judge Richard Bissen followed a plea agreement between the defense and prosecution in sentencing Naehu.
In four criminal cases, he pleaded no contest to two counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm, second-degree assault, first-degree terroristic threatening and third-degree promotion of a dangerous drug. In exchange for his pleas, other charges were dismissed, as well as another case charging Naehu with firearms offenses.
Naehu was charged along with co-defendant Travis Torres in the shooting of two men in Hoolehua on Oct. 14, 2015. Witnesses identified Torres as the one who fired the shots that hit one man in the neck and another in the buttocks as the victims were in a vehicle in Hoolehua.
Naehu, who was with Torres, later told police he threw the 16-gauge shotgun in brush, where police recovered it.
Originally charged with first-degree attempted murder, Torres was sentenced last year to prison terms totaling 25 years after he had pleaded no contest to first-degree assault and firearms offenses.
After being arrested in the 2015 case, Naehu was held without bail at the Maui Community Correctional Center for about three years before the defense and prosecution reached an agreement for him to be released on supervision in December 2018, court records show.
Naehu was arrested in October 2019 after a man reported being tied to a chair and beaten by Naehu over a debt, according to police.
Naehu had posted bail to be released when he was arrested in August 2020 for drug possession. He was arrested again in November for pointing a rifle at a man before firing it into the roadway, according to police.
Naehu isn’t allowed to possess firearms as a felon with convictions for second-degree theft and unauthorized entry into a motor vehicle, as well as an abuse conviction.
“I know there’s consequences for my actions in these offenses,” Naehu said in court Friday. “I have no justification for my actions.
“I am ready to live crime free. My bad behavior has caused me heartache and pain. I would like to apologize to those I have hurt.”
While attorneys asked the judge to follow the plea agreement in sentencing Naehu, he asked to be placed on probation.
Naehu said he has a newborn son. “I would like a chance to be able to raise him and be there physically,” he said.
Judge Bissen said he couldn’t sentence Naehu to probation, based on the charges.
“I think you’ve reached a fair agreement,” Bissen told Naehu. “It could have been so much worse, the injuries could have been worse.”
The judge said Naehu could argue for release when he appears before the parole board, which will set the minimum term he must serve before being eligible for parole.