Police to increase enforcement of vehicle violations next week
The Maui Police Department’s Traffic Division plans to increase enforcement of illegal tints, bumper heights and other vehicle violations next week in light of multiple complaints.
The “Tints and Tires” enforcement campaign will start Monday and run through Friday. Fines for violations include:
• Tinted glaze glass — owner: $287.
• Regulation of bumper height: $137.
• Excessive noise, modified muffler: $72.
• Windshields/fenders/bumpers requred: $72.
• Mudguards required: $72.
• Delinquent vehicle tax: $70.
• No current safety check/expired: $70.
• No license plate, obstructed/unclean plate: $70.
• Defective tail, brake or license plate light: $47.
• Prohibited noise: Court appearance is required.
Traffic Division personnel will also conduct free window tint and bumper height measurements on Tuesday fronting the Wailuku, Kihei and Lahaina police stations. Officers will be available between 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. and from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. to answer any questions related to vehicle regulations.
Participants who go to the station can be anonymous for the assessment. They will not be issued a citation and will be granted a grace period to address any violations.