Preparing for hurricane season
With hurricane season around the corner starting in June, a series of webinars aim to help prepare residents for potential storms. Here are some of the upcoming events:
• “Preparing for Hurricane Season,” 10 to 11 a.m. May 27. Dennis Hwang of the University of Hawaii Sea Grant College Program will discuss emergency supplies, emergency/evacuation planning and strengthening homes to reduce the risk of hurricane damage during a free Zoom webinar. To register, visit librarieshawaii.org/event/hurricane-preparedness.
• “Hurricanes in Hawaii: How Bad Can it Get?” 10 to 11 a.m. June 4.
• “Build Your Disaster Plan for Surviving a Hurricane,” 10 to 11 a.m. June 11.
• “Prepare Your Home to Survive a Hurricane,” 10 to 11 a.m. June 18.
• “Prepare for a Hurricane: What to Do if You Live in a High Rise,” 10 to 11 a.m. June 25.
All are hosted by AARP; to register, visit aarp.cvent.com/hiprepare2022.
* “Maui County Disaster Preparedness Expo,” 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 4 at the Queen Ka’ahumanu Center. Presented by the Maui Emergency Management Agency, the expo will include presentations, exhibits and prizes. For more information, call (808) 270-7285.