Discarded fireworks cause rubbish fires
The Maui Fire Department responded to nine fireworks-related incidents on Monday, the Fourth of July holiday, fire officials said Tuesday.
The majority of the incidents involved the discarding of spent fireworks in rubbish bins, according to a Fire Department news release. All of the fires were quickly knocked down and extinguished.
The Fire Department reminds everyone to remain extra cautious when discarding spent fireworks and recommended fully immersing and soaking spent fireworks in a container of water prior to tossing them in the trash.