Local Religion / In Brief
Minister to teach Buddhism basics
The Rev. William Masuda, resident minister of Makawao Hongwanji Buddhist Temple, will conduct an interactive talk and discussion about Shin Buddhism during the 9 a.m. service at the temple on Sunday and Jan. 21.
The presentation is meant to serve as a refresher of the basic teachings and understanding of Shin Buddhism.
During the discussion, children will be participating in their own dharma lessons in the Temple Social Hall. The temple is at 1074 Makawao Ave.
Holiday schedule set at St. Joseph
St. Joseph Church in Makawao has announced its holiday schedule:
• 6 p.m., Thursday — Healing Mass.
• 7 a.m. and 6 p.m., Dec. 8 — Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Holy Day of Obligation) Mass. The Immaculate Conception, according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, was the conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the womb of her mother, Saint Anne, free from original sin by virtue of the foreseen merits of her son Jesus Christ.
• 5 to 6 p.m., Dec. 13 — Advent Retreat followed by Advent Penance Service at 7 p.m.
• 7 p.m., Dec. 24 — Children and youth Christmas (Holy Day of Obligation) Vigil Mass in the church.
• 10 p.m., Dec. 24 — Christmas (Holy Day of Obligation) Vigil Mass.
• 7, 9 and 11 a.m., Dec. 25 — Christmas Day Mass.
• 7, 9 and 11 a.m., Jan. 1 — New Year’s Day Mass.
The church is located at 1294 Makawao Ave.
* Local Religion in Brief is published every Friday and welcomes news releases and announcements from churches and religious organizations in Maui County that wish to publicize guest speakers, special events and programs, and news items. The deadline for submitting releases is 10 a.m. Tuesday in order to be considered for publication the following Friday. To submit material, call 249-6846 or send email to email@example.com. “Church Listings” advertisements also are published on Fridays. For information, including cost or to update an existing listing, contact The Maui News advertising department at 242-6316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.