Local Religion / In Brief
Visiting lama to give lessons
The Maui Dharma Center in Paia has announced a weekend of Tibetan Buddhist teachings by visiting lama, The Venerable Nechung Choktrul Rinpoche, on Saturday and Sunday.
Rinpoche is the reincarnation of the late Nechung Rinpoche of Wood Valley Temple, Pahala, on the Big Island, who passed away in 1983, according to an announcement. In following the traditions of Tibetan Buddhism it is believed that important Buddhist teachers control their rebirth and often appear again in this world to continue the work of their previous life.
Rinpoche will teach the universal philosophy of Lord Buddha, Sidartha Gautama, the Buddha of our world time, and bestow a ritual ceremony for the purification of body, speech and mind.
From 9 a.m. to noon and 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday, he will give a lesson titled “The Principle Points of the Path to Liberation.”
From 9 a.m. to noon and 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday his lesson is titled “The Vajrasattva Je-Nang Ceremony.”
There is a suggested donation of $20 a session or $70 for the entire weekend. Lunch with Rinpoche in the Maui Dharma Center’s Shambhala Garden will be included in Saturday’s program. The teachings will be held at 81 Baldwin Ave.
For more information, call 579-8076.
Chapel hosts free concert in Kapalua
Harvest at Kumulani Chapel is hosting a free concert from 7 to 8 p.m. Sunday featuring local contemporary Christian music group “O My Soul” at Hale Hokulani (The Barn) on Office Road in Kapalua. There is no charge for admission. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. For more information, call the church office at 669-6905.
Meditation practice is at Kula mission
Kula Shingon Mission invites to public to meditation practice at 10 a.m. Sunday. Although this is beginner’s practice, all levels are welcome. The mission is located at 113 Puanani Place, off Kekaulike Avenue.
Holy Week set at St. Joseph Church
St. Joseph Church in Makawao has announced its Holy Week schedule:
• 5 p.m. Saturday — Mass.
• 7 and 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Sunday — Palm Sunday of the Passion of the Lord.
• 7 a.m. Thursday — Holy Thursday morning prayer service.
• 6:30 p.m. Thursday — Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord’s Supper.
• 8-11 p.m. Thursday — Holy Thursday Transfer of the Blessed Sacrament Adoration.
• 7 a.m. April 19 — Good Friday morning prayer service.
• 7:30 a.m. April 19 — Good Friday Stations of the Cross.
• 3 p.m. April 19 — Good Friday Liturgy of the Word, Adoration of the Holy Cross and Holy Communion.
• 7 a.m. April 20 — Holy Saturday morning prayer service.
• 7 p.m. April 20 — Easter Vigil.
• 7, 9 and 11 a.m. April 21– Easter Sunday of the Resurrection of the Lord (no 5 p.m. Mass on Easter Sunday).
The church is located at 1294 Makawao Ave.
Easter service planned in Kapalua
Good Friday and Easter services will be held at Harvest at Kumulani Chapel on April 19 and April 21.
Good Friday Service time is 5 p.m. April 19 in Hale Hokulani (The Barn) on Office Road in Kapalua.
Easter Morning Service times are 6, 8 and 10 a.m. April 21 in Hale Hokulani.
Kumulani Chapel Founding Pastor Ricky Ryan will be speaking at all three Easter morning services. All are welcome to attend. Sunday School is provided at the 10 a.m. service, for children 9 months old through 5th grade.
Kumulani Chapel was founded by Ryan, serving the West Maui Community and the island of Maui since 1981. Kumulani Chapel merged with Harvest Ministries in 2016, becoming Harvest at Kumulani Chapel, with Greg Laurie as senior pastor.
Holy Week set at Keawala’i in Makena
Keawala’i Congregational Church in Makena has announced its Holy Week schedule:
• 7:30 and 10 a.m. Sunday — Palm Sunday service. The tradition of church members and friends wearing hats woven out of pandanus leaves continues during this commemoration of the entry of Jesus into Jerusalem.
• 7 p.m. Thursday — Maundy Thursday service. The Lord’s Supper and washing of feet will be included in the service.
Church announces Holy Week services
Holy Week services will take place at Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Kahului:
• 6 p.m. Thursday — Maundy Thursday service.
• 6 p.m. April 19 — Good Friday service.
• 6:30 and 10 a.m. April 21 — Easter services. Breakfast will follow the 6:30 service.
The church is located at 520 W. One St.
In addition, Emmanuel Lutheran Church will have an Easter service at 5 p.m. April 21 at the Seventh-day Adventist Church, 655 Wainee St. in Lahaina.
Holy Week set at Trinity By-the-Sea
Trinity By-the-Sea Episcopal Church in Kihei starts Holy Week with the Procession of the Palms and Eucharist in the outdoor sanctuary at 9 a.m. Sunday.
Maundy Thursday will be observed at 5 p.m. Thursday with a simple soup supper followed by foot washing and Eucharist in Kilolani Hall.
At noon April 19, the Stations of the Cross through Trinity’s Trail in the gardens will be followed by Good Friday liturgy in Kilolani Hall.
All services take place on the church grounds at 100 Kulanihakoi St. (accessible via South Kihei Road).
For more information, contact 879-0161 or trinitybts.org.
St. Anthony to hold services
St. Anthony of Padua Church in Wailuku has announced the following services:
• 5 p.m. Saturday — Palm Sunday service.
• 7 and 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Sunday — Palm Sunday service.
• 6 p.m. Wednesday — Tenebrae service.
• 6 p.m. Thursday — The Lord’s Supper.
• Noon April 19 — Stations of the Cross.
• 6 p.m. April 19 — The Passion of the Lord and Veneration of the Cross.
• 7 p.m. April 20 — Vigil (no confession).
• 7 and 9 a.m. April 21 — Resurrection of the Lord (no evening Mass).
All services will be held in the church center.
Catholic services set in Lahaina
Maria Lanakila Catholic Church at 712 Wainee St. in Lahaina has announced its Holy Week and Easter services:
• 9 a.m. Thursday — morning prayer.
• 7 p.m. Thursday — Mass of the Lord’s Supper, followed by Solemn Adoration.
• 10 p.m. Thursday — Night Prayer.
• 9 a.m. April 19 — Morning Prayer.
• 3 and 7 p.m. April 19 — Good Friday Liturgy.
• 9 a.m. April 20 — Morning Prayer with Swieconka, a Slavic tradition of blessing Easter foods.
• 8 p.m. April 20 — The Great Vigil of Easter.
• 7, 9 and 11 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. April 21 — Easter Mass in English.
Catholic services planned in Kapalua
Holy Week and Easter services at Sacred Hearts Mission Church on Office Road in Kapalua are as follows:
• 6 p.m. Thursday — Mass in Spanish.
• 3 p.m. April 19 — Good Friday Liturgy in English.
• 7 p.m. April 19 — Good Friday Liturgy in Spanish.
• 7 p.m. April 20 — The Great Vigil of Easter in Spanish.
• 7 and 9 a.m. April 21 — Easter Sunday Mass in English.
Easter Services set at Waipuna Chapel
Waipuna Chapel in Kula will conduct a Good Friday service at 7 p.m. April 19. This in-the-round service is a quiet remembrance of what Christ did on the cross for mankind. There will be children’s programming for ages 3-12.
On April 21, Easter Sunday, there will be services at 8, 9:30 and 11 a.m. with Easter hymns and songs, a special dance feature and a big closing song by the choir. There will also be an Easter egg hunt and children’s programming for ages 3-12. Light refreshments will be served after each service.
Waipuna Chapel is located at 17 Omaopio Road, at the corner of Kula Highway and Omaopio Road. For more information, see www.waipunachapel.com.
Easter observance planned at St. John’s
St. John’s Episcopal Church in Kula has announced its Holy Week and Easter schedule:
• 5-6 p.m. Thursday — Stations of the Cross (family friendly). The all-night vigil follows.
• 11 a.m.-1 p.m. April 19 — Good Friday egg coloring, crafts and keiki lunch. Donations of hard-boiled eggs are welcome.
• Noon-1 p.m. April 19 — Good Friday service.
• 7:30 and 9:30 a.m. April 21 — Easter Sunday Eucharist, worship service and Easter breakfast (between services at approximately 8:30 a.m.). Children may bring loose flowers for the cross. An Easter egg hunt will follow the 9:30 service (children are required to attend Sunday school to participate). Children may bring an empty basket for eggs.
‘Singspiration’ at Kihei church
In place of a sermon from Kahu Dennis Barger, the ukulele players of 808 Ukejams and the dancers of Halau Na Pua O Ka’iwa will sing and dance during the 9:30 a.m. Sunday service at Keolahou Congregational Hawaiian Church, 177 S. Kihei Road in Kihei.
This “Singspiration” service will consist of group singing of songs and hymns in Hawaiian and English. The featured musicians are Anthony Pfluke, and sister and brother team Kumu Kealoha DelosSantos and Kumu Noelani Forsberg.
The little green church is near Kenolio County Park. For more information, call Barger at 214-8880 or the church office secretary at 879-4693.
Holy Week services set at St. Theresa
St. Theresa Catholic Church in Kihei has announced its Holy Week and Easter schedule:
• 5:30 p.m. Saturday — Palm Sunday Mass in English (no 4 p.m. reconciliation).
• 7 p.m. Saturday — Palm Sunday Mass in Spanish.
• 7 and 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Sunday — Palm Sunday Mass.
• 7 p.m. Thursday — Holy Thursday service followed by Solemn Adoration.
• 10 p.m. Thursday — Night prayer to close Adoration.
• Noon and 7 p.m. April 19 — Good Friday celebration of the Lord’s Passion (no 7 a.m. Mass).
• 7:30 p.m. April 20 — Holy Saturday Easter Vigil (no 4 p.m. reconciliation and no 5:30 p.m. Mass).
• 7 and 9:30 a.m. April 21 — Easter Sunday of the Resurrection of the Lord.
• Noon April 21 — Easter Sunday of the Resurrection of the Lord (Mass in Spanish).
Holy Week planned at Good Shepherd
Holy Week services begin at Good Shepherd Episcopal Church at 5 p.m. Saturday and at 7 and 9 a.m. Sunday with the liturgy and blessing of the palms. The 9 a.m. service will begin in the church office courtyard, followed by a processional into the church. The story of Christ’s passion is read in dramatic form by members of the congregation.
Maundy Thursday will be observed at 7 p.m. Thursday with a service with music by the choir.
The Stations of the Cross will begin at 6 p.m. April 19. At 7 p.m. there will be a service, which will include the Veneration of the Cross and the Solemn Liturgy. Communion will be offered from the Reserved Sacrament.
The Great Vigil of Easter and Holy Baptism will be celebrated at 8 p.m. April 20. Attendees are asked to bring their bells to ring during the service hymns.
There will be a Hawaiian Easter sunrise service and welcome of the sun on the morning of resurrection from 6 to 6:45 a.m. April 21. It will lead into the 7 a.m. service. At the 9 a.m. service, music will be led by Ferdinand Cajigal, the choir and the Good Shepherd Hand Bell Choir will ring. Attendees are asked to bring their bells for this service to ring during the shymns. All children attending either service are invited to join in the Easter Egg Hunt on the church grounds at the conclusion of the 9 a.m. service. Everyone is also invited to enjoy a potluck Easter brunch on the front lawn after this service.
Good Shepherd Church is located in Wailuku town on the corner of Church and Main streets. For more information, call the church office at 244-4656.