Local Religion / In Brief
Christmas concert at Adventist Church
The Kahului Seventh-day Adventist Church in Kahului will hold its annual Christmas concert at 6 p.m. Saturday at 261 South Puunene Ave. “Come and See, Go and Tell” includes a selection of well-known Christmas carols as well as music celebrating Christ’s birth. The concert will also feature the KSDA Children’s Choir.
The concert is open to the public, with light refreshments to follow.
Blessing of animals at Makena church
The 10th annual Blessing of the Animals will take place at 10 a.m. Saturday at Keawala’i Congregational Church in Makena. Churches celebrate the blessing of animals in remembrance of St. Francis of Assisi’s love for all creatures. Readings, prayers and a blessing will be offered.
Dogs must be leashed at all times and other animals must be safely contained.
This year’s event will again include a time of remembrance for pets who have died during the year.
‘Lessons and Carols’ at Good Shepherd
“Lessons and Carols” returns to Good Shepherd Episcopal Church in Wailuku at 7 p.m. Wednesday. The program will be presented under the leadership of Robert Wills, founder and music director emeritus of the Maui Chamber Orchestra, the Maui Masterworks Chorale and the Maui Masterworks Festival.
A Lessons and Carols service is a tradition that goes back more than 100 years in England and is known preeminently from the yearly service at King’s College, Cambridge, England. It features nine readings from the Bible (“lessons”) associated with Christmas and a number of choral anthems as well as congregational singing (“carols”).
With a festival choir of Maui choristers and accompanied by Ms. Beth Wills on organ, the music represents some of the most exquisite arrangements of Christmas music as well as traditional carols sung together with the choir.
Good Shepherd Episcopal Church is located at 2140 Main St. The admittance is by calabash with a recommended donation of $20 per person.
Emmanuel Lutheran announces services
Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Kahului and Lahaina announces its Advent and Christmas services:
• 5:30 p.m. Wednesday — Potluck supper followed by Advent and worship services at 6:30 in Kahului.
• 6 p.m. Dec. 24 — Christmas Eve service in Kahului.
• 9 p.m. Dec. 24 — Christmas Eve service in Lahaina.
• 10 a.m. Dec. 25 — Christmas Day service in Kahului.
The Kahului church is at 520 One St. The Lahaina service is in the Maui Seventh-day Adventist Church at 655 Wainee St.
Special services at St. Theresa Church
St. Theresa Catholic Church in Kihei announces its Advent, Christmas and New Year’s schedule:
• 7 p.m. Wednesday — Advent Penance service in church hall.
• 5 a.m. daily through Dec. 23 — Dawn Mass (exceptions Dec. 15 and 22 at 7 a.m.).
• 6 p.m, 9 p.m. and midnight Dec. 24 — Christmas Eve (carols begin at 11:30 p.m.).
• 8 and 10 a.m. Dec. 25 — Christmas Day (no evening Mass).
• No 4 p.m. reconciliation on Dec. 28.
• 9 a.m. Jan. 1 — New Year’s Mass.
• 4, 5:30 and 7 p.m. Jan. 4 — Epiphany of the Lord Sunday (en Espanol).
• 7 and 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Jan. 5 — Epiphany of the Lord Sunday.
• 4 p.m. Jan 11 — Reconciliation.
• 5:30 and 7 p.m. Jan. 11 — Baptism of the Lord Mass (en Espanol).
• 7 and 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Jan. 12 — Baptism of the Lord Mass.
Christmas services at St. John’s in Kula
St. John’s Episcopal Church in Kula announces its schedule of Christmas services:
• 4 p.m. Dec. 24 — Holy Eucharist with choir, Gale Wisehart directing.
• 8 and 10:30 a.m. Dec. 24 — Holy Eucharist with organ and string trio: Clayton Logue (organ), Teresa Skinner (viola), Cheryl Lindley (cello), Patrice Weed-Shearer (violin).
• 8:30 a.m. Dec. 25 — Holy Eucharist.
The church is located at 8992 Kula Highway.
Candlelight service at Keawala’i Church
The annual Christmas Eve Candlelight Service at Keawala’i Church in Makena will begin at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 24 on the grounds of the church. Members of Na Leo Nahenahe, the adult choir, and the Children’s Ensemble will be featured under the direction of Danette Kong. Members and friends, including Ellen Caringer, Amanda Eller, Cameron Keys, James Somera, Jamie Lawrence and Pono, Nalu and Koa Akiona, will be among the special musicians and singers.
Members and friends who are planning to attend are invited to bring a single-stem flower or lei for the two outdoor floral Christmas trees. Seating will be provided for 800.
Parking will be available in the church overflow parking lot and along Makena Road. For more information, call 879-5557.
Christmas Eve at Ala Lani service set
Ala Lani United Methodist Church in Kahului will have its Christmas Eve worship at 7 p.m. Dec. 24. The church is located at 50 S. Papa Ave.
Candlelight service at Grace Church
Pastor Robb and Nora Finberg of Grace Church invite the community to join them at 6 p.m. Dec. 24 for a Christmas Eve candlelight service on Grace Church property, located at 10 Kupaoa St. (under the big white tent), across from Longs at Kulamalu.
West Maui churches announce services
Maria Lanakila Church in Lahaina and Sacred Hearts Mission Church in Kapalua announce their Christmas services:
• 6 p.m. Dec. 24 — Christmas Eve Mass at Maria Lanakila.
• Midnight, Dec. 25 — Mass at Maria Lanakila.
• 7, 9 and 11 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Dec. 25 — Christmas Mass at Maria Lanakila.
• 6 p.m. Dec. 24 — Christmas Eve Mass at Sacred Hearts.
• 7 and 9 a.m. Dec. 25 — Christmas Mass at Sacred Hearts.
Maria Lanakila Church is at 712 Wainee St., Lahaina; Sacred Hearts Mission Church is on Office Road, Kapalua.
* Local Religion in Brief is published every Friday and welcomes news releases and announcements from churches and religious organizations in Maui County that wish to publicize guest speakers, special events and programs, and news items. The deadline for submitting releases is 10 a.m. Tuesday in order to be considered for publication the following Friday. To submit material, call 249-6846 or send email to email@example.com. “Church Listings” advertisements also are published on Fridays. For information, including cost or to update an existing listing, contact The Maui News advertising department at 242-6316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.