Local Religion / In Brief
Lenten devotions at Lahaina church
Maria Lanakila Catholic Church in Lahaina announces its Lenten devotions:
• An adult Bible study, “Jesus: the Truth, the Way and the Life,” will be offered from 6 to 7 p.m. Monday evenings beginning Monday in St. Marianne Hall. It is a study through the Great Adventure Bible Study Program.
• Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament will take place from 7:30 a.m. to noon March 6 and April 3 at Maria Lanakila Church.
• Stations of the Cross will take place on Fridays beginning today through April 3. Time and location: noon at Sacred Hearts Mission in Kapalua and 6:30 p.m. at Maria Lanakila Church.
• Parish Mission Talk with Sister Cecelia Cabral will be from 6 to 7 p.m. March 9-11 at Maria Lanakila Church. Her topic, “We are called to live in the light of Christ as family, even in the darkness of our imperfections.”
Lenten Parish Penance service will begin at 6:30 p.m. March 11 at Maria Lanakila Church.
Soup, salad and fellowship offered
An ecumenical Lenten prayer worship, titled “Soup & Salad & Fellowship,” will take place every Wednesday during Lent, beginning Wednesday. Programs will begin at 6 p.m. with soup and salad, followed by worship in the church at 7.
The hosting parish is scheduled to provide soup, bread, drinks, paper products, napkins and utensils. Other participating parishes provide the salad and dressings.
The hosting parish pastor provides the order of worship and leads the celebration of the Lenten prayer service, according to an announcement. The theme is “By His Wounds We Are Healed.”
The schedule follows: Wednesday — Kihei Lutheran Church; March 11 — St. Theresa Roman Catholic Church; March 18 — St. Theresa Roman Catholic Church; March 25 — Kihei Lutheran Church; April 1 — St. Theresa Roman Catholic Church.
Discipleship theme for class
Nancy McCready from Houston will teach a class titled “The Abiding Mandate: The Way of Life, Loyalty and Leadership” at Transformation School of Ministries. A lifestyle of full abiding dependency in Jesus Christ produces the mature life of disciples and sons, according to an announcement about the class.
Classes will be at Faith in Jesus Church in Wailuku from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday and from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. March 7, with a potluck lunch.
The class is free for introductory students. Degree students pay $150 every quarter (three classes), audit students pay $50 a quarter and graduates pay $10 a class. For more information, call Faith in Jesus Church 244-1286.
* Local Religion in Brief is published every Friday and welcomes news releases and announcements from churches and religious organizations in Maui County that wish to publicize guest speakers, special events and programs, and news items. The deadline for submitting releases is 10 a.m. Tuesday in order to be considered for publication the following Friday. To submit material, call 249-6846 or send email to email@example.com. “Church Listings” advertisements also are published on Fridays. For information, including cost or to update an existing listing, contact The Maui News advertising department at 242-6316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.