Ask The Mayor

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Q: Our kids used to love Napili Park but it’s been closed for so long now. What’s the status of the park? Is it going to reopen again?

A: Back in March we had to close the park indefinitely for safety reasons after we discovered damage to the support beams of the playground equipment. The parks department has ordered replacement equipment from the Mainland, but if our vendors don’t have what we need already in inventory, it takes even longer. As soon as we get the parts on island, we will begin the necessary repair work to reopen the park.

Q: When one attempts to pay their vehicle registration there is a $7 “service fee” to pay by charge card. I understand that because the credit card issuers charge a fee to the county. What I don’t understand is why there is a $3.50 “service fee” to pay by check online. I don’t believe there is a charge by a bank to the county to use this method. Why is paying by check via snail mail “free” and paying online by check $3.50? That makes no sense. What “service” cost to the county above and beyond snail mail is being provided?

A: That’s because the county is assessed a fee by the vendor for processing online check payments. The vendor for Division of Motor Vehicle and Licensing online payments is the Hawaii Informational Consortium, which is contracted by the State of Hawaii.

Q: When turning left from Kahului on Puunene at night, the light is on a timer because no cars are coming from both ways and we have to wait for 30 seconds or more before the turning signal turns green. Please have the traffic guys turn on the sensor in the road, not the timer.

A: Puunene Avenue is actually a state road, and we will make sure to pass along your request to the state Department of Transportation.

* Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Alan Arakawa by email at, by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email