Ask The Mayor

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Q: I would like to know if there are plans to install sidewalks on Makawao Avenue. It is a really busy street and one that many children walk along to get to school. In addition, people who utilize the bus service also walk along this street. Without sidewalks, people have to walk on the street in some areas.

A: I’m not sure what specific area in Makawao you’re talking about, but currently, the sidewalk along Makawao Avenue ends at Eddie Tam Gym as you’re heading toward Pukalani. The Department of Public Works has a project to continue the sidewalk to Makani Road and down to Kalama Intermediate School, which would help those particular students. That project is a few years away.

Q: With all of the water issues happening in West Maui, especially Launiupoko and Olowalu, what is the source for all the water that is being used for irrigating the side of the road on the new Lahaina bypass extension? The water is being wasted, watering is going on during the hottest part of the day, and for extended periods of time many places on the road are being watered. Is the water being used for irrigation potable or nonpotable?

A: Because this is a state Department of Transportation Project we contacted them for the answer. Their reply: “The water is coming from Makila Ranch’s system. Both nonpotable and potable water is being used for irrigation, with potable water being used when the nonpotable water supply gets low. This is a temporary irrigation system for the establishment period only.”

Q: Who do you contact regarding the location of a stop sign and whether it is in the right location? Case in point is the stop sign along Halia Nakoa Street (road to War Memorial Gym). That stop sign seems to be set way too far back from the painted stop line.

A: Contact the Traffic Signs & Markings Section of the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department at 270-5709, from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. To report traffic sign or pavement marking issues, leave a detailed message and someone will get back to you shortly. For this matter, we will inform the section directly about your concern. Mahalo.

* Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Alan Arakawa by email at, by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email