Ask The Mayor

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Q: I saw recently that Eddie Tam Gym is closed for some sort of repairs from now until the fall. What about voting? Beneath the gym is where everyone in Makawao votes every election year. Is that going to be taken into consideration or will we have to vote somewhere else?

A: Don’t worry. If Eddie Tam is your official polling place then nothing has changed. It’s true that Eddie Tam will be closed from July 30 to Oct. 31 for renovations to the gym and social hall, however parks department officials are aware that the primary election is on Aug. 11 and they have already asked the contractor to make sure the parking lot is clear for voters and that there are no other obstructions.

Q: I’m not a prude and don’t mind people showing off some skin at the beach but people strutting their stuff in front of the wife and kids is a little too much. I have this expectation that if there are nude sunbathers I’ll stay on my side of the beach and they stay on theirs. Is that too much to ask? What does the law say about this sort of thing?

A: We get the “nude sunbathing” question every summer it seems. The answer from the Maui Police Department is the same so I will post a past response here: “In talking with our Maui Police Department, they said that officers will respond to calls involving “open lewdness,” which is the law people violate when they expose themselves publicly. However, MPD recommends using two phone numbers for two different scenarios. If the person in question is nude but keeping to themselves, or “passively” sunbathing, then police recommend calling their administrative line at 244-6400. If the person in question is being aggressive, exposing themselves to people and engaging in other forms of harassment, people should call 911. Police will respond in both cases but obviously there is a higher priority placed on the second scenario. Some people have asked whether they should take a picture of the nude sunbather with their cellphones as evidence for police when they arrive, but this is not necessary. Also, you run the risk of turning a passive situation into a confrontation if the individual sees you taking their picture. Better to let police handle the situation.”

Q: I read about Tropic Care. As a medical professional I’d like to offer my services to the military if they need an extra hand. Where do I go to sign up?

A: That’s very kind of you, but for training purposes the members of the military who are involved in Maui Tropic Care 2018 must do the technical work themselves. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t still help support the clinics by being a volunteer. If you go to the Maui County website, you’ll see we have a Tropic Care page, which you can also access by clicking the following link: www.mauicounty.gov/1933/Tropic-Care-2018. Once on that page you will find a volunteer sign-up link and sign up for any one of the many shifts we have at the different Tropic Care clinic locations in Hana, Molokai, Lanai, Central, South and West Maui. Tropic Care begins on Aug. 11 so please hurry and sign up if you are interested in volunteering. Mahalo for your interest.

* Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Alan Arakawa by email at askthemayor@mauicounty.gov, by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email mayors.office@mauicounty.gov.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)