Ask The Mayor

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Q: We have the same problem in Maalaea at Haycraft Park. Campers come and stay. What are you going to do about them?

A: Although you don’t mention it in your question, I’m going to assume you saw the question a couple weeks ago about illegal camping going on at Papalaua Park and were referring to that when you said “We have the same problem.” However, the situation at Haycraft Park is a little different. Haycraft is a county park but our property only consists of the parking lot, grassy area and showers. The campers you are referring to who “don’t leave” are actually camping on A&B property. We contacted A&B about this, and they said they were working with nonprofit groups, police and other support services to address the problem. By the time you read this, I’m told the area will likely be cleared of campers.

Q: Is it possible to move or remove one or both telephone poles at the Makawao Avenue entrance of Eddie Tam Gym? When exiting the park, the two poles obstruct the view of Makawao-bound traffic. On trash days, trash receptacles further limit viewing on this incline. As a longtime resident of Makawao, I have seen both traffic and speed of vehicles increase in this area. Can something be done to provide a better view of traffic?

A: I think anyone who has ever had to make a left or even right turn back onto Makawao Avenue from Eddie Tam can sympathize with you, including myself. There’s a project slated for 2021 by the Department of Public Works to make Makawao Avenue and Makani Road improvements that will look at whether some of these poles need to be moved to accommodate the new sidewalk/path to and from the gym to Kalama Intermediate School. The engineers haven’t gotten to that point in the design yet, but they will keep your request in mind when they do.

Q: Can I brew my own beer if I don’t plan on selling it? Someone said you can’t in Maui County.

A: We asked the Department of Liquor Control that question and they quoted Hawaii Revised Statute, section 281-3; which says you can produce your own wine and beer though “not for sale.” Also, you can only produce an amount of wine not exceeding 200 gallons a year and beer not exceeding 100 gallons a year. So yes, but there’s a limit.

* Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Alan Arakawa by email at, by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email