Ask The Mayor

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Q: My question is because we are zoned agriculture in Launiupoko, is our noise ordinance (quiet hours) after 9 p.m. and before 9 a.m.?

A: Mahalo for your question and from what the state Department of Health, Indoor and Radiological Health Branch has told us, there are no “quiet hours,” per se, in the state statute under community noise control.

However, if the property is zoned agriculture, farmers are not allowed to do work that exceeds 70 A-weighted decibels any time on any day. A person would first need to obtain an approved community noise permit that allows them to exceed 70 dBa for agricultural activities only. For more information and questions related to noise issues, call the Department of Health, Indoor and Radiological Health Branch at (808) 586-4700.

Q: Is there any way a “slow down” sign could be placed in my neighborhood in Haiku?

A: I share your concerns about drivers sometimes speeding through neighborhoods, especially ones with children on the sidewalk. My staff looked into this concern, and while it would be nice to add “slow down” signs to many of our neighborhoods, there appears to be more to this issue.

Regulatory signs supported by the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices are generally installed to provide advance warning of an unexpected condition ahead or a hazardous road condition. Signs reading, “Slow Down” or “Kids at Play,” are not in conformance with the manual, and so installing them may create added liability for the county. Many studies also have shown that drivers respond more to roadway conditions rather than signage, and one of the best ways to deter speeding is through education and enforcement.

One solution residents can explore, though, is making a speed hump information request for their neighborhood at Residents must fill out the form completely, with the location for the proposed speed hump, and email it to For more information on requesting a speed hump, call our Department of Public Works Engineering Division at 270-7745.

Q: When will the county fix the access at Papalaua Beach? It’s extremely dangerous due to erosion and vehicles are in danger when they enter and exit. This problem has been going on for two years now. As you may know, this is an extremely popular beach for families, and we don’t want to see them get hurt.

A: Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention and I can tell you that our Department of Parks and Recreation directed staff to inspect Papalaua Wayside Park for dangerous conditions. Parks staff took photos of the area and Honoapiilani Highway, which appears to be slowly eroding due to high tides and sea-level rise. Because this highway is under the state Department of Transportation’s jurisdiction, we contacted their staff about any planned repairs for the area.

I’m glad to say that state DOT maintenance crews have since filled in the area with rock and gravel.

* Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at, by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email