Names & Faces
• Denise Thayer was appointed last month to the position of chief development and communications officer for Hale Makua Health Services, a news release announced in May. She has been with the nonprofit health care organization for over 11 years, most recently as director of development and marketing. Thayer holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration from the University of Hawaii at Manoa, and has extensive experience in the fields of marketing and fundraising. She started her career on Oahu in advertising working at ADWorks and then Laird Christianson Advertising. Prior to moving to Maui in 2008, Thayer served as the director of client services at Honolulu-based Jon Duarte Design Group, for several years.
• Maurgana Stiastny recently joined the staff at Wailea Pharmacy at the Gateway Center in Wailea, according to an email announcement. She is a licensed acupuncturist and master of acupuncture and Oriental medicine. Stiastny specializes in acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine. Stiastny graduated from the Oregon College of Oriental Medicine in 1991. She sees her role as empowering patients to connect with the source of their own healing.
• John Paul Oliver has been named managing director of the Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, according to a hotel news release. Oliver brings more than 30 years of experience in luxury hospitality to the Grand Wailea and will be overseeing management, operations and marketing for the 830-room, oceanfront resort. Oliver’s background includes work with Hyatt Hotels and Resorts and LXR Hotels & Resorts, formally Wyndham International. He brings a focus on culture and curating experiences. Most recently, Oliver worked for the Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco and was the vice president of lifestyles, Americas, for Hyatt Hotels and Resorts.
• Maui attorney James Krueger was recently inducted into the Oxford Who’s Who “Top Tier of Excellence Lifetime Recipient Award,” according to an announcement Friday. As a lifetime designate, Krueger will be featured on the Oxford Who’s Who website in perpetuity.
• Celso Flores of the utilities/housekeeping department of the Whaler on Ka’anapali Beach has been named by the Whaler Association of Apartment Owners as 2018 employee of the year.
Flores was nominated and voted to receive the honor by his peers for a job well done. Flores has been employed by the Whaler for two years. He graduated from an electronics school and has two children. He is a native of Manila, Philippines.
* Names & Faces is published on the first Monday of the month and welcomes news releases and announcements regarding new hires and employee promotions and awards at businesses in Maui County. Photos of the employee will be accepted as well. To submit material or for more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (808) 242-6343.