Ask The Mayor

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Q: There appears to be nonfunctioning utility poles along the side of Maui Veterans (Mokulele) Highway with its wires on the ground. Do you know what the wires are for and what happened to the poles?

A: My staff forwarded your question to the state Department of Transportation and was told that the utility poles on the western side of Maui Veterans Highway carry Hawaiian Telcom wires. We have contacted the company and discovered that the poles were damaged by the recent brush fire and tropical cyclones. Hawaiian Telcom said the cables and poles are intact and some of the cables belong to Spectrum. Hawaiian Telcom’s services were not impacted by the damage and their crews began repair work on the poles last week.

Q: I’m just wondering when the next hazardous waste collection event might be scheduled for?

A: Mahalo for your question and commitment to keeping our environment safe. Our Department of Environmental Management plans to hold a Household Hazardous Waste collection event every spring and post a notice online prior to the event at mauicounty.gov/recycle. We do have some ongoing programs for certain household hazardous waste, so I recommend folks call the Recycling Hotline at 270-7880 for all possible options.

The county’s annual springtime house hazardous waste collection event accepts the following: aerosols, batteries, fire extinguishers, fluorescent bulbs, oil-based paints, old medication, pesticides, solvents and thermometers.

The department also provided me a list of locations you can recycle/dispose of other household hazardous waste items:

• CFL (or curly-Q) bulbs accepted at Home Depot (call 893-7800).

• Auto and marine batteries can be taken to E-H International (call 868-4362), Interstate Batteries (call 242-5887) or Hammerhead Metals (call 280-8844).

• Tires can be taken to E-H International (call 868-4362). State law requires stores that sell tires to take back old tires. Fees vary depending on size.

• Computers and televisions can be taken to ECycling Maui (call 280-6460).

• Appliances can be taken to Hammerhead Metals (call 280-8844) for free, or residents can sign up for a curbside pickup (call 270-7452) for $25.

• Residents wishing to recycle old vehicles can participate in the Abandoned Vehicles Junk Vehicles Disposal Assistance Program (visit www.mauicounty.gov/avm).

• The county’s used motor oil program has 10 collection sites countywide, call 270-7880 for more information.

Future programs we’re excited about and hope to roll out soon are an ongoing propane tank recycling program and an ongoing antifreeze disposal program. Our Department of Environmental Management and its Environmental Protection and Sustainability Division continue to do tremendous work in our community and are always looking for ways to best serve Maui County.

If you have small quantities of hazardous waste and cannot wait until the springtime event, we recommend absorbing it in kitty litter, triple plastic bagging the litter and taking it to the landfill. Please call 270-7880 for instructions on how to properly dispose of larger amounts. For any other recycling questions, please call the Recycling Hotline at 270-7880.

* Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at askthemayor@mauicounty.gov, by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email mayors.office@mauicounty.gov.