Ask The Mayor

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Q: If a police report is filed on a stolen item and the item is then seen at a pawn shop, what should the victim do? How should he go about recovering the stolen item?

A: I’m sorry to hear about this situation and I hope the victim was able to recover their belongings. If you’re ever unsure about what to do, the best thing to do is talk to the police.

In this case, the victim identifying stolen property should contact the Maui Police Department’s nonemergency number at 244-6400 and ask to speak with an officer. When contacted by the officer, provide him or her with information on where the item is — and most importantly — the report number under which the item was reported stolen.

Oftentimes victims of these crimes will ask to meet an officer at the pawn shop. The officer will confirm that the item was indeed reported stolen in the police report. The item will then be recovered by the officer and submitted as evidence for the investigation, along with any other information the pawn broker can provide to identify the offender.

The victim will be instructed to contact the prosecutor’s office and, using the police report number, inform them of the victim’s desire to retrieve their property.

There are two claims of ownership on the property: the victim of the crime and the pawn broker. It is important that the victim be able to establish ownership of the item prior to the initiation of the criminal investigation.

The property cannot be released until: 1. The case has been adjudicated in a court; or 2. Prosecution in the case has been discontinued; and 3. Investigation in the case has been discontinued. A disposition letter from the prosecutor’s office, county’s corporation counsel office or the courts directing the return of these items to either of the parties involved has to be provided to the Police Department before any items can be released.

I realize this is a lengthy process to retrieve your rightful belongings, but our Police Department needs to follow proper procedures in order to ensure your property is safe and returned to you lawfully. Although I hope most of you do not have to experience this issue, I want to mahalo our police officers for helping provide this information to the public.

If you need to report a stolen item, please call the Police Department at 244-6400.

Q: How can we get speed bumps/tables on Makani Road in Makawao?

Mahalo for your question, and I would be more than happy to help you make a formal request for a speed hump/speed table.

To make a speed hump information request, please visit www.mauicounty.gov/556/Engineering-Division. Make sure to fill out the form completely, with the location for the proposed speed hump, and email it to Eng.Traffic@co.maui.hi.us.

The purpose of the speed hump program is to assist neighborhoods with installations on minor streets, which generally don’t service through traffic.

For more information, please call our Department of Public Works Engineering Division at 270-7745.

* Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at askthemayor@mauicounty.gov, by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email mayors.office@mauicounty.gov.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)