A new problem surfaces with an old name

I’ve got a problem, which requires help from others.

After being honorably discharged from the Army, I used a pseudonym and wrote for magazines and newspapers. In those days, 45 years ago we used AKA on documents. However, over time, all of my current documents bore my new, but never legally changed, name. That includes Social Security, Medicare, driver’s license, tax records, bank accounts, etc.

When I recently went to renew my driver’s license, I was refused, because my birth certificate name did not match my driver’s license name. The helpful clerk suggested I legally change my name. Unfortunately, the Lieutenant Governor’s Office requires a certified birth certificate, which can be obtained from the state in which I was born. This state, however, requires photo IDs in my birth name, which I do not possess. A modern Catch-22.

I do possess besides my original birth certificate, baptism and confirmation papers, report cards, school transcripts, and numerous military papers which match, in name, my birth certificate. I even have a picture of myself in uniform with a name tag.

Since I cannot earn a living or take care of myself without a driver’s license and am fresh out of ideas, I need help. My number is in the book, if anyone has a suggestion or solution.

Because everything is now in my new name, trying to go back to my old is not a solution.

Raphael O’Suna