* Personal: Age 17; daughter of Emi-lei and Kaimi Cabanilla of Lahaina; enjoys music (singing and playing instruments), martial arts, surfing, hunting and experiencing Hawaiian culture.
* At School: Student government class president (all four years), Health Occupations Students of America, Hawaiiana Club, Kanikapila Club, Kokua Krew.
* Off Campus: West Maui Kajukenbo, Na Pua No'eau, Na Mamo Makamae, Youth Relay for Life.
* Beyond High School: Plans to attend Kapiolani Community College and later enroll at the University of Hawaii at Manoa to become a firefighter paramedic and to also achieve a major in Hawaiian studies.
* Who is your personal hero and why?
"My personal hero is my grandfather, Nathan Cabanilla Sr., because he possesses all of the traits that make up the type of person I strive to be. As a significant part of my upbringing, my grandfather has taught me almost everything I know. He is always there to provide for our family, especially for his 9, soon to be 10, grandchildren. My grandfather has inspired me to pursue a career in the medical field in hopes to share his gift of giving with others. Thank you papa for being my hero and inspiration."
The students in this weekly feature are selected by officials at their respective high schools. "Student Spotlight" recognizes students of good character who are involved in school or community activities such as athletics, clubs, student government and volunteer work.