×

More than half of Honolulu’s virus recovery funds allocated

HONOLULU (AP) — Officials have said nearly 60 percent of Honolulu’s federal coronavirus recovery funds have been allocated for use, leaving $165.4 million pending.

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported Sunday that Honolulu has spent about $72 million of its available $387 million.

Honolulu received the funds April 23 as part of the state’s $1.25 billion allocation from a $150 billion relief fund.

Congress requires payments from the national virus relief fund to be used to cover expenses incurred from March 1 to Dec. 30.

Details of Honolulu’s spending are available at a state online dashboard launched last week to provide the public with an updated view of how the federal funds are used.

The dashboard information indicates small business assistance represents about 66 percent of the federal funds spent and distributed on Oahu to date.

Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell said the city must “quickly and effectively” spend the federal funds to help residents affected by the pandemic.

Honolulu Council member Tommy Waters said he was pleased money went to small businesses but wants more funds dedicated to recovery.