Water cutbacks continue for Central Maui customers as wells brought back online
The Maui News
A contractor has made progress on bringing a second water well back online in Central Maui, though the county is continuing to require water reductions for customers in the area, Department of Water Supply Director Jeff Pearson said Monday.
Customers on the county’s Wailuku-Kahului-Paia system have been asked to reduce water usage by at least 10 percent as part of a Stage 1 water shortage declared in late April after a Wailuku water pump failure. The 10 percent cutback is mandatory until further notice.
Under Stage 1 restrictions, customers should postpone the washing of vehicles, irrigation of landscape or unnecessary water use, the county said.
At the end of April, four water pumps were out of service in the Central Maui-Paia region, according to the county. The department’s capacity from those sources was down by as much as 6 million gallons per day in an area with an average demand of about 24 mgd. The department increased production at other wells and at the Iao Water Treatment Plant to offset the loss of water from the four wells. One of those wells was returned to service earlier this month.
To report water problems, call the 24-hour service line at 270-7633.






