×

57-unit luxury condo project proposed in Wailea

Homes geared mostly toward part-time residents

A site plan shows the proposed Wailea Resort SF-S Residential Project, which calls for 57 single-family residential units on 23.1 acres in Wailea. Munekiyo Hiraga maps

A Canadian-based developer with plans for luxury communities on former Alexander & Baldwin land is looking to build a 57-unit condominium project on 23.1 acres in Wailea.

Wailea Resort SF-S Partners LP is proposing the single-family residential units on a vacant parcel just south of Kilohana Park and across the street from the Papali Wailea and Wailea Palms condos.

The project would include the 57 units and an amenity center with a mail room, barbecue facility, pool and/or hot tub and other community gathering spaces for condo residents, according to a draft environmental assessment for the project, which was published Thursday in the Office of Environmental Quality Control’s “The Environmental Notice.”

It also would require infrastructure improvements, including the installation of driveways along Wailea Alanui Drive and Kapili Street and a new pedestrian crossing on Wailea Alanui Drive.

According to project documents, 90 percent, or 51 units, are expected to house part-time residents, while the other 10 percent, or six units, are expected to be full-time. The condos would range from 2,600 to 3,300 square feet with additional space for a pool, garage and covered lanai, according to a typical unit floor plan. The single-story condos would sit on just over 10,000 square feet.

They are projected to sell for about $3.6 million each.

Construction would take four years to complete and cost an estimated $130 million, including $111.2 million to build the condos, about $17.2 million for the infrastructure and $1.5 million for the amenity center.

The project site is located within the state Department of Education’s Central Maui Impact Fee District, requiring developers to pay fees to help build or expand local public schools.

A&B Wailea LLC, the previous owner of the property, had an agreement with the DOE in which A&B Wailea contributed $1 million toward the construction of Kamalii Elementary School in Kihei, according to the draft assessment. A&B Wailea received 1,176 units in DOE credits, a portion of which will be used for the proposed Wailea Resort SF-S Residential Project to satisfy DOE’s impact fee requirements.

Property tax map records show that current landowner Wailea Resort SF-S Partners LP has a Vancouver, British Columbia, mailing address belonging to Ledcor Development, which has corporate offices in Canada and Southern California and branch offices in Kihei and other parts of the U.S.

In February 2019, A&B sold 42 acres of land and land improvements, residential workforce housing credits and associated developer rights in Wailea to Ledcor Properties for $23.6 million, according to an A&B filing with the SEC.

Ledcor says on its website that it has “secured development rights on 135 acres of land from A&B Properties, representing the vast majority of the remaining residential land in Wailea.” The company is currently leasing some land from A&B Wailea, tax maps show.

In March, Ledcor announced plans for a “luxury residential enclave” known as The Wailea Hills Collection. The first of those projects was La’i Loa, a 13-acre community at the corner of Wailea Alanui and Okolani Drive featuring 75 condominium residences starting at $1.5 million each, a news release said. Sales kicked off in March.

The recently proposed Wailea Resort SF-S Residential Project would be just up the road from La’i Loa. It will need a special management use permit and planned development step II and step III approvals, which the Maui Planning Commission will review once the environmental assessment process is through.

To view the full draft assessment, visit oeqc2.doh.hawaii.gov/Doc_Library/2020-07-23-MA-DEA-Wailea-Resort-SF-5-Residential-Project.pdf.

Comments on the draft report are due by Aug. 24 and must be submitted to the approving agency, the Maui Planning Commission, by mail at 2200 Main St., One Main Plaza, Room 315, or by contacting planner Tara Furukawa by phone at 270-7735 or by email at tara.furukawa.co.maui.hi.us.

The applicant and consultant also should be copied. Applicant Wailea Resort SF-S Partners LP can be reached by mail at 590 Lipoa Parkway, Suite 259, Kihei, or by contacting Paul Woodward by phone at 829-4067 or by email at paul.woodward@ledcor.com.

Consultant Munekiyo Hiraga can be reached by mail at 305 High St., Suite 104, Wailuku, or by contacting Yukino Uchiyama by phone at 983-1233 or by email at planning@munekiyohiraga.com.

* Colleen Uechi can be reached at cuechi@mauinews.com.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper?
     

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today