Honolua shark attack victim dies
A 56-year-old Lahaina man died Wednesday after he was attacked by a shark while surfing at Honolua Bay on Tuesday morning, according to a hospital official.
Maui Health spokeswoman Tracy Dallarda said Wednesday evening that the victim had succumbed to his injuries. He had been taken to Maui Memorial Medical Center for surgery and was in critical condition as of Tuesday night.
Dallarda said that out of respect for patient privacy, the hospital would not release the victim’s name.
The man was paddling out from the old boat ramp in the bay when he was attacked just before 8 a.m. Tuesday. He and several other non-competitors had been surfing as they waited for the Maui Pro to start.
Witnesses said that first responders and event personnel tried to revive the man on scene before he was taken to the hospital. While some media reports had said the man was in stable condition after surgery, Dallarda said he had always been in critical condition.
The WSL announced Wednesday that it would not run the remaining heats at Honolua and planned to relocate the competition.
“We are working on options to complete the Maui Pro presented by ROXY event at an alternate location in Hawaii and will update everyone soon,” the announcement said.