The Nominated Nine
The Maui News
Every 10 years, a group of residents gather to review the Maui County Charter, the guiding document for local government. This year, the council will nominate nine members of the Charter Commission, while the mayor will nominate two. Here are the nine council nominees:
• Grant Chun, current executive director for Hale Mahaolu; former managing director of Maui County from 1999 to 2002; A&B Properties vice president, 2002-17. Nominated by Council Chairwoman Alice Lee (Wailuku).
• Keoni Kuoha, interim executive director, Maui AIDS Foundation, February 2019 to May 2019; executive director, Papahana Kuaola, 2016-19; coordinator, Office of National Marine Sanctuaries/NOAA, 2011-14; faculty, Kamehameha Schools Maui, 2007-11. Nominated by Council Vice-Chairwoman Keani Rawlins-Fernandez (Molokai). Kuoha is from Maui, as there were no applicants from Molokai.
• Kauanoe Batangan, current senior associate, Munekiyo Hiraga; executive assistant to Council Member Yuki Lei Sugimura, 2018-19; founder/program manager, Daniel K. Akaka Congressional Fellowship; 2015-17; legislative correspondent/staff assistant, Office of Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard, 2013-15. Nominated by Presiding Officer Pro Tempore Tasha Kama (Kahului).
• George Purdy IV, current UAS project manager for the state of Hawaii Department of Transportation Airports Division and airport fire equipment operator; co-owner Drone Services Hawaii and STEM after-school teacher at Lanai High & Elementary School. Nominated by Council Member Gabe Johnson (Lanai).
• Paul Deslauriers, current director of Maui Pono Network; director of Community ReStart in Berkshire County, Mass., 2010-16; president, NRG Consulting, 1986-2009; oceanographer. Nominated by Council Member Kelly King (South Maui).
• Lance Collins, currently an attorney with the Law Office of Lance D. Collins; instructor OCET, University of Hawaii Maui College, 2018-19 and previously involved with Maui County boards and commissions. Nominated by Council Member Mike Molina (Makawao-Haiku-Paia).
• Ashley Olson, currently a teacher at Lahainaluna High School and Hawaii State Teachers Association Maui Chapter secretary. She has also worked in the hospitality industry and retail. Nominated by Council Member Tamara Paltin (West Maui).
• Douglas Mardfin, lecturer, University of Hawaii at Manoa summer sessions, 2016-20; lecturer UH-Maui College Hana Education Center, 2017-18; former member of the Maui Planning Commission and the Hana Advisory Committee. Nominated by Council Member Shane Sinenci (East Maui).
• Doreen “Pua” Canto, small business owner and processing assistant; Kula Community Association president; former member of various Maui County boards and commissions, including police, fire and public safety, and planning commission. Nominated by Council Member Yuki Lei Sugimura (Upcountry).