Nearly $274 million secured for Maui County projects
The Maui News
A budget bill approved by state lawmakers earlier this week includes $273.9 million for capital improvements projects in Maui County, including about $118 million for Kahului harbor and airport improvements, $30 million for new facilities at Pukalani Elementary and $15 million for a Maui Health System parking facility.
“We are proud to announce that we have secured over $273 million in funding for our beloved communities on Maui, Molokai and Lanai,” said a joint statement on Friday by Sens. Gilbert Keith-Agaran of Central Maui’s District 5, Rosalyn Baker of South and West Maui’s District 6 and Lynn DeCoite of District 7, which covers East and Upcountry Maui, Molokai, Lanai and Kahoolawe. “These funds will go directly towards making necessary improvements to our schools, health centers, housing and infrastructure while also improving the quality of life for those who call our districts home.”
The latest version of House Bill 1600 was approved by the Senate and House money committees on Wednesday and includes $8.7 billion in general funds and $16.9 billion through all methods of funding for the fiscal biennium 2021-23.
Capital improvement project funds that were appropriated in the budget for Maui County projects include:
• $73 million for Kahului Harbor improvements.
• $45 million for Kahului Airport terminal improvements.
• $30 million for a new administration building, library and multipurpose play court at Pukalani Elementary.
• $20 million for master planning at a new elementary and middle school for Central Maui.
• $15 million for a Maui Health System parking facility.
• $11 million for electrical and athletic facilities improvements at Baldwin High.
• $9.15 million for Maui Health System Angioplasty suite, Cardiac Catherization Lab and Neuro-Vascular Center.
• $9 million for Maui Health System capital improvements.
• $9 million for Leialii Parkway and Highway improvements.
• $6.4 million for various improvements at Maui High.
• $6 million for Keokaha cafeteria improvements at Kula Elementary.
• $5 million for water and ADA improvements at Makawao Elementary.
• $4.85 million in electrical upgrades and air conditioning improvements at Wailuku Elementary.
• $4.28 million for Kahekili Terrace electrical upgrades and interior repairs.
• $4 million for the UH-Maui College Vocational Technology Center.
• $3.6 million for health and safety improvements at King Kamehameha III Elementary.
• $3 million for athletic facilities at Molokai High.
• $3 million for Pulehunui infrastructure improvements.
• $2.5 million for a new classroom building at Kihei Elementary.
• $2.5 million for air conditioning improvements at Pomaikai Elementary.
• $2 million for a band room at King Kekaulike High School.
• $2 million for a girls’ locker room and covered play court at Hana High and Elementary.
• $1 million for fencing at Haiku Elementary.
• $1 million for security cameras and land acquisition for expansion at Iao Intermediate.
• $600,000 for a covered facility at Princess Nahi’ena’ena Elementary.
• $500,000 for a multipurpose facility at Lahaina Intermediate.
• $500,000 for gym renovations at Lanai High.