Breaking News
Local News

State’s chief housing officer stepping down

Decision comes amid criticism over state’s emergency housing proclamation

By Colleen Uechi 5 min read
State’s chief housing officer stepping down
NANI MEDEIROS Chief housing officer resigning

The state's chief housing officer is stepping down amid "personal attacks" and criticism of the governor's emergency housing proclamation.

The confirmation of Nani Medeiros' resignation came just over a week after a meeting of the Build Beyond Barriers Working Group, which is led by Medeiros and is tasked with reviewing housing projects that could potentially be expedited under Gov. Josh Green's July emergency proclamation to streamline developments. Hundreds of letters and in-person testifiers raised concerns over the proclamation and called for the panel to listen to the thousands of Lahaina residents displaced by the Aug. 8 wildfires.

Medeiros could not be immediately reached by phone on Thursday evening, but in a statement released to multiple local media outlets, Medeiros said she initially took the job because she knew there were many local people like her who had never owned a home.

"I can't stand the housing crisis we're in and have been in for decades," she said. "Our regulatory processes are considered some of the worst in the nation. We do not have enough housing for all of our people, we have not been building enough for our population growth, and that is causing many of us to be priced out. I hate seeing our people leave and the face of Hawaii change. I am a native Hawaiian, kanaka maoli, single mother, born and raised in Hawaii, lived only here all my life, and have been committed to this cause."

However, she said, "over the last several weeks many lies have been said about me and my family. Threats have been made against me, loved ones who don't even work for the government, and even children. I love my family, and for the sake of their health and safety, I've been left with no choice but to resign from my position."

"With my resignation," Medeiros added, "the discussions about housing should no longer be about me."

Green named Medeiros as his housing officer shortly after taking office in December. He said in a statement to The Maui News on Thursday that "Nani Medeiros is a truly compassionate person who has worked tirelessly to help create novel solutions to house the homeless and to build affordable homes in Hawai'i -- only to face a barrage of personal attacks in person and on social media from those who would rather tear us all apart, rather than help Hawai'i move forward."

He blamed former pro MMA fighter and former Republican gubernatorial candidate B.J. Penn for some of those attacks.

"The bullying tactics, with obvious violent undertones employed by Mr. Penn and his followers have no place in Hawai'i and are absolutely contrary to our spirit of Aloha for others," Green said.

Penn, who testified at the housing meeting last week, said in an Instagram post Thursday that he had apologized "if I hurt anyone's feelings or made them sad. It's just that we (people of Hawaii) have been sad so many times with our governments decisions."

"Josh Green is attacking freedom of speech and he is attacking all of us in Hawaii for standing up for our rights!" Penn wrote. "Josh Green you work for BJ Penn and all of the people of Hawaii! Don't you ever forget it!"

Green's emergency housing proclamation has come under fire from some residents who are worried that it will be used by developers to bypass state laws.

Leonard Nakoa III and Daniel Palakiko of West Maui were among several residents who filed a petition in court challenging the legality of the emergency housing proclamation. On Aug. 28, 2nd Circuit Court Chief Judge Peter Cahill ordered Medeiros and the Build Beyond Barriers Working Group to appear in court to answer the petition.

Maui attorney Lance Collins said Thursday that he was sorry that some people had launched personal attacks against Medeiros, "but that doesn't detract from the fact that the housing proclamation is unlawful and it's entirely contrary to our democratic form of government."

Collins said there has to be a particular emergency to trigger a proclamation and suspension of laws; however, the proclamation recognizes that the shortage of affordable housing is a long-standing problem.

"There's no event or occurrence that could trigger the governor's very limited power to suspend laws," he said.

He said his clients are concerned about historic preservation laws and are worried that the proclamation takes local control away from county councils, which have say over fast-track affordable housing projects. Collins said that the proclamation rewrites section of state law, which is the Legislature's job.

"Everywhere the law is suspended and he basically rewrites a new law is a concern, because that is not a power the governor has," Collins said.

Collins said he doesn't have a problem with the governor appointing a housing officer. However, he said he disagrees with changing laws under an emergency proclamation and giving that power to an adviser.

King Kamehameha III Elementary teacher Justin Hughey, who testified at a Maui County Council committee meeting last week that Medeiros spoke at, said Thursday that "one unelected person on Oahu should not be in charge of rebuilding Lahaina and all housing development on Maui." Medeiros said at the meeting that "Lahaina is not on the table" for now as the state mulls projects to expedite.

Hughey, however, is also worried that the proclamation will take power away from the county council, which he said essentially became a "puppet government" under the proclamation. He said the governor's emergency proclamation should address issues like a moratorium on foreclosures, evictions and rent increases.

"We should not be getting rid of government and handing all power to an unelected person to fast track development," he said.

* Managing Editor Colleen Uechi can be reached at cuechi@mauinews.com.

Starting at /week.