Breaking News
Local News

Visitors to Maui slowly picking up, report shows

By Melissa Tanji 3 min read
Visitors to Maui slowly picking up, report shows
Canadian visitors enjoy the waters off Kamaole II Beach Park in Kihei on Oct. 31. Maui visitor arrivals are slowly picking up since the Aug. 8 wildfires. The Maui News / MATTHEW THAYER photo

Staff Writer

Maui visitor arrivals are slowly picking up since the deadly Aug. 8 wildfires, as the island saw nearly 40,000 more visitors in October versus September, according to recently released statistics.

In October, there were 132,909 visitors to the Valley Isle, compared to the 94,221 seen in September, for an increase of 38,688 visitors.

Visitor spending in October also increased over September, with visitors spending $326.2 million in October versus $203.2 million in September.

But even with an increase in visitors and spending compared to September, October totals were down around 40 percent compared to the same month in 2022, according to preliminary statistics from the state Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism released Nov. 30.

The 132,909 visitors seen in October is down 42.3 percent compared to the 230,512 visitors seen at the same time in 2022.

Visitor spending at $326.2 million in October is down 25.2 percent compared to the $435.9 million spent in October 2022.

"The effects of the Maui wildfires continued into October, impacting both visitor arrivals and spending for the third consecutive month," DBEDT Director James Kunane Tokioka said in a news release. "As areas in West Maui reopened, Maui tourism showed signs of a slow recovery."

Beginning Oct. 8, exactly two months after the fires, Maui began to slowly welcome back visitors to West Maui, beginning with Phase 1 from The Ritz-Carlton Maui, Kapalua to Kahana Villa.

Mayor Richard Bissen said at the end of October that since there were "fairly good results" from the Oct. 8 opening, he would move to reopen both Phases 2 and 3.

On Nov. 1, hotels and properties from Kahana to the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa in Kaanapali began to welcome back visitors.

Some hotels and resorts continue to house those displaced by the fire, including the Royal Lahaina Resort, which has said it has fully committed all rooms to support fire evacuees through the end of 2024. Its Royal Ocean Terrace Restaurant, Royal Scoop ice cream shop, Royal Trading Co. and wedding event spaces at the hotel remain open to the public.

Even with the uptick in visitors, DBEDT said the direct air service from the West Coast to Kahului "was significantly reduced" in October with 288 fewer flights, down 27.4 percent compared to October 2022, while the number of seats was down 47,281, or 23.8 percent less than October 2022.

Impacts weren't just on Maui. Statewide, both visitor arrivals and visitor spending declined for the third straight month compared to 2022, as the state's visitor industry continued to feel the impact of the Lahaina wildfire, DBEDT said.

A total of 734,582 visitors came in October, down 3.2 percent from October 2022, which saw 758,608 visitors.

In nominal dollars, total visitor spending in October was $1.51 billion, a decrease of 2 percent compared to October 2022 when visitors spent $1.54 billion.

In the first 10 months of 2023, total visitor spending was $17.29 billion across the state, an increase of 7.1 percent from the $16.15 billion spent during the same period last year.

A total of 8.05 million visitors arrived in the state in the first 10 months of this year, an increase of 5.5 percent from the 7.63 million visitors who arrived in the first 10 months of 2022.

* Staff Writer Melissa Tanji can be reached at mtanji@mauinews.com.

Starting at /week.