Autopsy performed on Maui man who breached TSA security

Family members identify man who died at airport as Charles Kosi Jr.

An autopsy was performed Tuesday on a Maui man who breached security Saturday at Honolulu International Airport and died after being apprehended.

The Honolulu Medical Examiner’s office said Tuesday it will take about three weeks to get the autopsy results.

Family members identified the man who died as Charles Kosi Jr. Over the weekend, they declined to comment until they received more information.

The family, also from Maui, was on Oahu on Tuesday trying to learn more about how Kosi forced his way into a secured area of the commuter terminal on Oahu, was apprehended and became unresponsive.

According to court records, Kosi was to be released from federal custody Feb. 7 to enter the Sand Island Treatment Center on Oahu for drug treatment. He had been in custody because he violated his supervised release last year.

A 2003 drug case involved selling, distributing or dispensing a controlled substance, records show.

Kosi’s brother, Ryan Tuzon, told KHON2 News that Kosi was supposed to be admitted to a drug rehabilitation center on Oahu. His brother had a heart condition and had heart surgery, Tuzon said.

He told the television station that his brother loved his family and was trying to return to Maui.

The 48-year-old Kosi had 35 state convictions, according to the Hawaii Criminal Justice Data Center. Those happened from 1988 to 2003. Many were for driving without a license and criminal contempt of court. He also had been convicted of escape and assault, including assault on a police officer.

Kosi is also the older brother of convicted murderer Daniel B. Kosi, who was sentenced in 1999 to eight life terms in prison, one of them without parole. He was found guilty of shooting kickboxer Eric Vinge and the murder of teenager Aisha Tolentino who was stabbed during a standoff with police at a Kihei resort condominium.

State Department of Transportation spokesman Timothy Sakahara said in an email Saturday that the airport incident occurred at 5:48 a.m. Saturday, when a man forced his way into a secured area at the commuter terminal at the Honolulu International Airport.

The suspect was immediately placed in custody, Sakahara said.

Multiple law enforcement agencies responded, including Securitas law enforcement officers, state sheriffs and Transportation Security Administration officers, he said. The suspect became unresponsive at the scene. Life-saving measures were initiated by police officers, paramedics and airport rescue firefighters. The suspect was transported to a nearby hospital where he died, Sakahara said.

One law enforcement officer with Securitas was injured and was taken to a hospital for treatment, he added.

Sakahara did not have updates on Tuesday. He referred questions to investigating agencies.

The Honolulu Police Department opened an unattended death investigation. A police spokeswoman said the department had no comment Tuesday.

In 1997, police were on a four-month manhunt for Charles Kosi Jr. He had been sought since July 30, 1997, when he was mistakenly released by 2nd Circuit Court authorities following his arrest on drug charges.

When police surrounded the Kihei home of a relative, Kosi called The Maui News and was arrested without incident.

Kosi told The Maui News that he fled the island prior to being found in Kihei “because they (police) was setting me up.”

Police denied his claims.

* Staff Writers Lila Fujimoto and Colleen Uechi contributed to the story. Melissa Tanji can be reached at mtanji@mauinews.com.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper?


Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today