Nominees named for Mayor’s Small Business Awards
The Maui News – Nominees for the 2018 Mayor’s Small Business Awards were announced last week with the winners to be honored Friday at an awards dinner in the Waikapu Ballroom of the King Kamehameha Golf Club. The awards are presented by the county Office of Economic Development and the Maui Chamber of Commerce.
The nominees are:
• Exceptional Small Business of the Year (10 or fewer employees): Coconut Condos, Manakai Swimwear LLC, Positive Apparel LLC, Pure Barre Maui, Wailuku Market LLC dba Kaohu Store, Yanagida Strength & Fitness LLC.
• Exceptional Small Business of the Year (11 to 35 employees): Blue Ginger Cafe, Haynes Publishing Group, Mid-Pacific Pest Control Inc.
• Young Small Business Person of the Year (under age 40 as of Friday): Cody Clark, Climbing HI LLC; Kimo Clark, Truth Excavation; Shaun Bayles, Emerald Kitchen LLC dba Chic Naturals; Walle and Rebecca Hutton, Pome Maui.
• Outstanding Non-Profit Business: Hale Mahaolu, Maui Humane Society, Maui Memorial Medical Center Foundation, Nisei Veterans Memorial Center, Pacific Cancer Foundation.
• Lifetime Achievement Award (for any individual doing business in Maui County for more than 20 years; no limit on number of employees): Erlinda Rosario, McDonald’s of Maui; Johanna Kuuleilokelani Shin Amorin, Jobline Xpress Inc.
The Mayor’s Small Business Awards recognize businesses in the community that have 100 or fewer employees and have had a Hawaii general excise tax license for no fewer than two years. Other criteria include demonstrating business leadership in a changing economic environment, creating a quality work environment for their employees, exhibiting the aloha spirit and exemplary customer service and developing partnerships with other sectors of the community.
The deadline to purchase tickets for the event has passed. For more information, contact the Maui County Business Resource Center at 270-5767 or the Maui Chamber of Commerce at 244-0081.