Vehicle catches fire in airport parking lot
The Maui News
State airport firefighters extinguished a blaze in a white sport utility vehicle early Wednesday afternoon in a parking lot at the Kahului Airport heliport, said Maui District Airports Fire Chief Scott Pires.
No injuries were reported, and the vehicle was a total loss, he said. The fire was suspected of being caused by an electrical malfunction under the hood.
An emergency call was received at 12:46 p.m., and five airport firefighters were on the scene with three vehicles at 12:49 p.m., Pires said. The vehicle was “fully involved” with flames, and firefighters had the blaze extinguished by 1:09 p.m., he said.
The vehicle was parked in front of Blue Hawaiian Helicopters and had Florida license plates, but fire officials were not immediately able to identify or track down the owner, Pires said.