MIL’s seeded players advance to Day 2 of state tennis tournament
The Maui News
Kihei Charter School’s Jessalyn Lopez and Hobbes Wilstead, and Seabury Hall’s Nikki Fernando each won their first- and second-round matches during Day 1 of the HMSA Tennis State Championships at Mauna Lani Sports & Fitness Club on the Big Island on Thursday.
Lopez, the No. 2 seed in girls singles, started the day with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Waialua’s Jenny Peters. She then defeated Punahou’s Katelyn Corpuz 6-3, 6-2.
Lopez, a junior, is a three-time Maui Interscholastic League champion and was a state quarterfinalist last year.
Fernando, who lost to Lopez in the MIL tournament final last month, dispatched McKinley’s Emily Thai 6-0, 6-0 in the first round. The fifth-seeded freshman then beat Hilo’s Casydee DeMattos 6-2, 6-1.
The result sets up an all-MIL quarterfinal between Lopez and Fernando today. The two have played each other three times this season, with Lopez winning all three in close contests.
In boys singles, Wilstead opened with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Punahou’s Connor Kimura before taking out Moanalua’s Qadir Queen 6-1, 6-0. Wilstead, a junior who won his second straight MIL title last month, is the No. 4 seed — he went out in the quarterfinals of last year’s state tournament.
Wilstead will face eighth-seeded Andrew Chiang of Mid-Pacific in the quarterfinals today.
HMSA Tennis State Championships
Thursday’s results involving MIL players
At Mauna Lani Sports & Fitness Club
ROUND OF 32
(7) Annika Alcon, Mid Pacific, def. Hoohieokala Luna-Beamer, Maui High, 6-0, 6-1.
(4) Maile Brilhante, Waiakea, def. Hana Yoshikawa, Maui High, 6-1, 6-2.
(8) Sarah Domingo, Pearl City, def. Kaitlyn Ralar, Kamehameha Maui, 6-1, 6-3.
Lauren Ikeda, Mililani, def. Kiyo Christopher, Kihei Charter, 6-2, 6-2.
(5) Nikki Fernando, Seabury Hall, def. Emily Thai, McKinley, 6-0, 6-0.
(2) Jessalyn Lopez, Kihei Charter, def. Jenny Peters, Waialua, 6-0, 6-1.
Sasha Rovinsky, Island, def. Aden Kinoshita, Baldwin, 6-4, 7-5.
Logan Machida, Kamehameha Kapalama, def. Miles Stone, Seabury Hall, 6-7 (0), 6-3, (8).
Patrick Turner, Kalaheo, def. Jaxon Chester, King Kekaulike, 6-0, 6-0.
(4) Hobbes Wilstead, Kihei Charter, def. Connor Kimura, Punahou, 6-0, 6-0.
Trent Domingo, Pearl City, def. Evan Lipetz, Seabury Hall, 6-0, 6-0.
Quinn Shapiro, Kihei Charter, def. Kamahele Britos, McKinley, 6-3, 6-3.
Berylin Lau and Leeana Kanemitsu, Kamehameha Maui, def. Kiana Piliwale-Wilson and Kamomikea Logsdon, Campbell, 6-3, 6-2.
Hailey Killett and Ana Rodriguez-Gomez, Lahainaluna, def. Stacie Miura and Nikka Kahalekulu-Nakama, Mililani, 6-3, 6-4.
Hokulani Iseri and Katherine O’Neill, Kauai, def. Eric Gumbuc and Jenna Payba, Maui High, 7-5, 4-6, (4).
(8) Josette Huang and Alyson Hirota, Punahou, def. Selena Feike and Kaui Kennedy, Baldwin, 6-0, 6-2.
(6) Maya Atwal and Jade Brilhante, Waiakea, def. Kayleen Lau and Kaelyn Kato, Kamehameha Maui, 6-2, 6-1.
(4) Gabriela Siaosi and Mari Kwee, Iolani, def. Chiemi Powell and Jessica Griffiths, Seabury Hall, 6-0, 7-6 (3).
(7) Chaz Nagasawa and Payton Nagasawa, McKinley, def. Cody Sears and Nicolas Wittenburg, Baldwin, 6-0, 6-1.
Kai Sutton and Zen Terao, Mililani, def. Sterling Sandler and Zack Walker, Seabury Hall, 6-2, 7-5.
Trevor Carbonel and Micah Matsunaga, Kauai, def. Gabriel Kaahanui and Robert Mawae, Molokai, 6-1, 6-2.
Hayden Virtue and Ethan Goore, Hawaii Prep, def. James Fujii and Shawn Abut, Lahainaluna, 6-0, 6-2.
Devon Baldwin and Zack Fernando, Kihei Charter, def. Christian Garay and Brendan Song, McKinley, 6-0, 6-0.
Austin Law and Zachary Horiuchi, Moanalua, def. Rielyn Domingo and Kai Frostad, King Kekaulike, 6-0, 6-2.
ROUND OF 16
(5) Nikki Fernando, Seabury Hall, def. Casydee DeMattos, Hilo, 6-2, 6-1.
(2) Jessalyn Lopez, Kihei Charter, def. Katelyn Corpuz, Punahou, 6-3, 6-2.
(4) Hobbes Wilstead, Kihei Charter, def. Qadir Queen, Moanalua, 6-1, 6-0.
(2) Hunter Fujimori, Mililani, def. Quinn Shapiro, Kihei Charter, 6-2, 6-0.
(1) Celeste Inouye and Denby Nagata, Iolani, def. Berylin Lau and Leeana Kanemitsu, Kamehameha Maui, 6-0, 6-1.
(3) Jacqueline Oneill and Cosette Wu, Punahou, def. Hailey Killett and Ana Rodriguez-Gomez, Lahainaluna, 6-0, 6-0.
(5) Gabriel Kwock and Riley Visaya, Iolani, def. Devon Baldwin and Zack Fernando, Kihei Charter, 6-3, 6-3.